Saturday 11 April 2015

The people we get to know is a big part of the adventure

April 10, 2015

A big part of our adventures are the people we get to know. There is a deepening of relationships with those you are traveling with given the intensity of experiences, undistracted by the demands of our typical day-to-day life.

We celebrated Bob’s 60th birthday last night. This was his vision 2 years ago and we’ve realized it together as a group of 11 Canadians and 3 South Africans on this island paradise in the Seychelles


I’ve been reminded how we all have a story.

We’ve been friends with Bob and traveled with him before on adventures with our soccer team. He’s been to the Seychelles before and was excited for us to meet his friend Judith, who runs the estate we are staying on, and her daughter Hayley, who works alongside her, and son Jonathan, who was our scuba dive master. Judith designed and led the creation of the estate, transforming it from a property with a single home to its current grandeur (see previous post for more pics).

We’ve spent the week sharing the fantastic food that Judith and Hayley create (food artists, so much more than ‘making food’!). We’ve spent the week diving with Jonathan and exploring what is a brand new world for Rob and me (that will be  a future post on it’s own!).  They have shared various stories with us and I can tell you their family’s story is an exciting one of island life that was so different than mine and I imagine many of you reading this blog.

I’ve always loved meeting new people. I’m curious about their story and how hearing others story gives me pause to reflect on mine, my thoughts and opinions, my key relationships with family and friends and how I choose to go forward.

Deep thinking for an adventure travel blog I know! Too much time deep in the sea impacting me?

I think likely it was another chance meeting of a new person along our adventure. It was a lovely 68-year-old woman from Britain. Her name was Sandra and the first words she whispered were “I thought I was going to die”.

Half of the group was returning in the boat from an unbelievable morning of diving followed by a mid-afternoon beach picnic. Paradise. A few of us even caught a nap lulled by the rhythm of the boat dancing across the ocean on our way home. The boat slowed as Lester, our dive boat driver, moved to navigate through the shallow channels to the estate’s dock.

Another boat approached us and an older man yelled to us “There’s a woman in the water, she’s been swimming, I’ve lost her, help me find her!” and we all jumped to our feet starting to survey the water for any signs of her, a snorkel above the water, anything. The look in his eyes were beyond panic, they were opened wide, he was desperately afraid that this story would follow others who were not found in time and drowned. We’d come to find out his name was Robert and he owned a place nearby. Sandra was a friend visiting.

A number of us spotted her and she waved her arms to attract us! We yelled at Robert and pointed to her. He accelerated to her. Someone calmly offered, “He may not be able to get her out”. Robert looked to be in his late 70’s, a healthy looking man but he was alone on the boat, showing signs of fatigue himself and we weren’t sure at that point if his panic meant she wouldn’t have strength to climb up the ladder to the boat.

We followed and as we got closer we could hear her moaning with exhaustion, she likely had survived so far because she had moved to floating on her back, the dead man float. Jonathon dove in first, and then I think it was Luc and after a quick glance at Rob, I dove in too. I thought I heard someone else dive in as I came up. I remember being amazed at the strength of the current as I swam hard towards her. It felt like I was crawling.

The story has many details of how quickly we all worked together – too many for a blog. It took all of us in the water plus a couple on the boat to use towels as a sling to lift her up into the boat. She was not able to help at all. She simply had used every bit of energy she had.

I had taken on the role of talking to her, telling her she was safe now. Holding her hand and reassuring her after she whispered, “I thought I was going to die”. A member of our group is a doctor and so he and I stayed with Jonathon in Robert’s boat.  Sandra started to recover her energy and responded to my telling her how strong and brave she was with a soft “flattery will get you everywhere” and light smile. I was amazed with this woman. I tried to match her playfulness with a ‘I think you’ll need to skip the Gin and Tonic tonight love” but burst out laughing myself when she pursed her lips into a pout, eyes still barely open, and wined a soft “noooooo” in protest.

The propeller of the outboard engine even hit a shoal on the way to the main island where the ambulance was coming to meet us. Fortunately the boat started again…with Jonathon driving this time.

Last night Judith told us that Sandra was still in intensive care due to the amount of water she had taken in. Judith heard that Sandra kept saying she feels better and is ready to go home. Personally, I think it’s the Gin and Tonic motivating her.

We all have a story; Sandra’s and ours came together for an unlikely encounter. Judith and Bob's families have experienced an exceptional introduction which I'm sure will continue into the future.

The people we get to know is a big part of the adventure, both when we travel and when we are at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment